These light, moist muffins have the perfect touch of sweetness and are gluten free (GF), soy free (SF), corn free (CF), nut free (NF), and (of course) vegan (V)! They are also free of refined sugars.I used pecans as a topping because it was what I had on hand (sans pecans, the muffins are NF!). I think they would be just as yummy unadorned or with candied pepitas. I'm definitely going to try the candied pepita version next.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with (or without!) Candied Pecans
(makes four muffins)
- 30g Tapioca Flour
- 34g Sorghum Flour
- 1/4 tsp Guar Gum (can be subbed with 1/2 chia or flax egg )
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/8 tsp Salt (I use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar (if you prefer sweeter muffins, add an add'l 2-3 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (or a combination of ground: Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger & Allspice)
- 122g Pure Pumpkin Puree (canned or better still, home-baked and pureed - NOT Pumpkin Pie Mix)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil (warmed enough to be liquid)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage)
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Lightly coat four standard sized muffin tin cups with coconut oil or line with baking cups.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tins and bake for approximately 25 minutes*. About halfway through baking time, add the Candied Pecan/Pepita topping (see below).
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Pecans or Whole Pepitas
- 2 tsp Raw Agave Nectar (or Brown Rice Syrup or Date Paste/Puree)
- 1/2 tsp Coconut oil
- Pinch Salt
Create a Fabulous Day!
1. Behold the power of my Pumpkin Spice Muffins!
*Jumbo or mini muffin tins will require a time adjustment