The key to a more flavorful and tender salad is to massage1 the kale. This helps to break down the fiber and allow the avocado dressing to really incorporate and permeate the leaves.
Even with the massage session, this salad is really quick and simple to make. If you're short on time and looking for a nutrient-dense and filling meal, this salad is for you.
Easy Kale Guacamole Salad
- 1 Bunch Curly Kale (Dinosaur/Lacinato is fine as well)
- 2 Ripe Medium Avocados
- 1/2 Medium Cucumber (preferably organic & unwaxed)
- 4 Campari Tomatoes (or 3 Roma/2 medium "globe" tomatoes)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
- Pinch of Cayenne (optional)
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup Filtered Water or So Delicious® Unsweetened Coconut Milk or your favorite raw nutmilk (you may want to avoid stronger-flavored milks like hazelnut)
Rinse the kale and pat dry (or use a salad spinner). Remove the leafy parts from the tough stalk and chop into bite-sized pieces. Add the kale to the avocado mixture.
Cut the cucumber in half, lengthwise. Take half; cut it in half, lengthwise again, and slice into approx. 1/4" slices. Do the same with the other half.
Dice the tomato or chop into bite-sized pieces.
Before adding your cukes and tomatoes to the other ingredients, get messy.2
Yep. Smoosh your hands right into the kale-avocado mixture and massage that kale; really knead the avocado in, the way you would knead dough.
Once you've worked the kinks out of your kale, add the remaining veggies and toss together until everything is fully coated with the avocado mixture. Add any additional salt or pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!
Create a Fabulous
1. Doesn't the kale deserve it? Being a nutritional powerhouse is hard work.
2. Just make sure your hands are clean.